Everything TESOL

Everything TESOL is about getting TESOL Certified, finding a job teaching English overseas, and

becoming a successful English language teacher anywhere in the world.

TESOL Trainers, Your Scaffold to Success.

Saturday, October 3, 2020

The Experiential Learning Cycle and the SIT TESOL Certificate Course

The Experiential Learning Cycle and the SIT TESOL Certificate Course


John Kongsvik TESOL Trainers K-12 Professional Development
Language Learning Experience

So, in the last post, we looked at the fundamental components of the SIT TESOL Certificate Course.  Before we look at a specific example of how participants interact with the content of the course, let's step back and explore the Experiential Learning Cycle (ELC).


The ELC, proposed by David Kolb, captures the process that we all pass through as we engage in learning.  His model outlines the steps we take as we create learning.  Kolb proposes the process can be broken down into four stages.

TESOL Trainers:  Excellence in teaching and learning

The Experiential Learning Cycle

The Experiential Learning Cycle and teacher preparation
The four stages of the ELC represent the natural learning process that we all pass through.  While we can enter at any stage, successful learning experience incorporate components of each segment.  


In brief, the Experiential Learning Cycle has four elements:  There is the experience itself {CE}, a reflection on the experience {RO}, a learning from the experience {AC}, and a course of action based on the experience {AE}.

Each stage of the ELC informs and affects the other stages.

Consciously moving through each stage of the ELC helps us increase our own awareness as to what helps and hinders student learning, how that informs us of the fundamental principles of teaching and learning, and what we can do to become more effective teachers.

The SIT TESOL Certificate uses this model as the driving force in helping participants with informing and transforming their own understanding of language teaching and learning.  This focus is paramount to helping participants develop their teaching skills for a career teaching English overseas.

Take a look at how the Experiential Learning Cycle presents itself in the pronunciation segment of the TESOL Certificate Course.  Can you guess which color represents which stage of the ELC?  {answers below}  
  1. Participants have a real experience with pronunciation as language learners.
  2. Participants discuss the experience and what helped or hindered their learning
  3. Participants share how it informs them of the learning and teaching of pronunciation.
  4. Participants explore a variety of strategies and techniques for both planning and teaching pronunciation in the TESOL classroom as language teachers.
  5. Participants summarize their learnings from the experiences they've had.
  6. Participants actively plan a lesson that has a pronunciation focus using their understanding of this topic and with the strategies presented in the workshop.
  7. Participants teach that lesson in a real language classroom.
  8. Participants reflect on that experience in terms of what supported learning and how to support learning even more.
  9. Participants summarize a key learning the experience has taught them.
  10. Participants decide on an action point that will help guide them through the next trip around the ELC.
John Kongsvik TESOL Trainers K-12 Professional Development

{A participant teaching a lesson on family}
  • Concrete Experience - 
  • Reflective Observation -
  • Abstract Conceptualization -
  • Active Experimentation - 
There are a ton of benefits for following this process.  Participants develop confidence and competence as they consciously approach how to plan and teach a lesson that sets all students up for success.    Long after the SIT TESOL Certificate course has finished, these reflective teaching practices give you the tools you need to rejuvenate your approach to teaching non native English speakers.

Through the Experiential Learning Cycle, participants grow in both their understanding and ability to put that understanding into action in planning, teaching, and reflecting on a lesson.

To read our second posting on the ELC, check out Promoting Positive Teaching Practices.

TESOL Trainers provides students and teachers a scaffold to success!  


TESOL Trainers offers a wide variety of professional development and teacher training for K-23 educational institutions that serve non-native English speakers.  We offer short term and long term professional development solutions.  We offer traditional, online, and hybrid programs that can earn you graduate credit.

John Kongsvik, director of TESOL Trainers, has been offering the SIT TESOL Certificate course in Santa Fe, NM for 13 years.  There are currently over 500 graduates teaching their way around the world ©

If you'd like to know how TESOL Trainers can help you achieve excellence in teaching and in learning, contact us to lear more.


Informative Posts:

Everything Teaching TESOL:  Best Practices in teaching the English language

               How do I structure a Multi-level lesson?
               Actively engaging students in the classroom
               Checking for student comprehension

Jobs in the TESOL field:  How to find a job teaching English to non-native speakers

               The Global Need for English Language Teachers

Getting TESOL Certified:  How to earn a reputable TESOL certificate

               Do I really need to get a TESOL Certificate?




11 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m indeed very happy for the great help that Dr ehiaguna rendered to me,I was diagnosed with HSV 2 on July 7, 2018 and I have tried all possible means to get cure but all to no avail, until i saw a post in a health forum concerning herbal doctor Dr ehiaguna, who prepares herbal medicine to cure all kind of diseases/Infection including Herpes Simplex virus Type 2, at first i doubted if it was real but decided to give it a try, when i contact this herbal doctor via his email: drehiaguna@gmail.com He assured me of a cure, he prepared a herbal medicine and sent it to me via courier service, when i received this herbal medicine, he gave me instructions on how to use it, when i applied it as instructed, i was cured of this deadly virus within 14 days of usage,he told me to go for a medical check up and i went for test, I couldn't believe i was negative and the HERPES VIRUS in my body got cured, I and my family are so happy and grateful to God for using Dr ehiaguna to Liberate me. Reach Out to this great herbal doctor via his email : drehiaguna@gmail.com you can also reach him on WhatsApp +2348073908953 God bless you

      Delete
    2. few week ago I felt some pains and I went to the hospital my doc told me I had Herpes about 1 year ago and I need to start the treatment early, he gave me some medicine to be taking and I told him no I’ll not, because I hated taking medicine when I won’t not see cure for the purpose. After I got home I started getting worried searching for strong advice and I found valid natural treatment online a lot of people says they got herpes cure from DR.IMOUDU and I contacted DR.IMOUDU that same day I purchase his cure online, after two weeks of taking the herbel treatment i got cured totally. i tested negative all thank to DR.IMOUDU you can also reach him on his email: [DR.IMOUDUHEALERTEMPLE@GMAIL.COM ] or message him on WhatsApp +2348109609753 God bless you

      Delete
  2. I had HIV I was told there was no cure except medication that can control it, I totally lost hope, all I could think was losing my life because I was so depressed and confused about the whole situation , few weeks ago I read about Dr Ojie natural herbal medicine which was guaranteed, I ordered the medicine after using it for 2 weeks I went for test and I tested negative I am so excited to share my testimony thank you so much dr Ojie you can also contact dr Ojie via WhatsApp or call +2349015357322 Email doctorojie1@yahoo.com Dr ojie also have medications for, Kidney failure ,Herpes 1/2, CANCER, ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease), Hepatitis A/B, chronic pancreatitis, Emphysema, COPD (Chronic , Obstructive Pulmonary Disease), asthma, Acute angle-closure Glaucoma, Diabetes, CHRONIC PANCREATITIS thanks everyone God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m indeed very happy for the great help that Dr ehiaguna rendered to me,I was diagnosed with HSV 2 on July 7, 2018 and I have tried all possible means to get cure but all to no avail, until i saw a post in a health forum concerning herbal doctor Dr ehiaguna, who prepares herbal medicine to cure all kind of diseases/Infection including Herpes Simplex virus Type 2, at first i doubted if it was real but decided to give it a try, when i contact this herbal doctor via his email: drehiaguna@gmail.com He assured me of a cure, he prepared a herbal medicine and sent it to me via courier service, when i received this herbal medicine, he gave me instructions on how to use it, when i applied it as instructed, i was cured of this deadly virus within 14 days of usage,he told me to go for a medical check up and i went for test, I couldn't believe i was negative and the HERPES VIRUS in my body got cured, I and my family are so happy and grateful to God for using Dr ehiaguna to Liberate me. Reach Out to this great herbal doctor via his email : drehiaguna@gmail.com you can also reach him on WhatsApp +2348073908953 God bless you

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dad was diagnosed with ALS early  March to be precise, and was so confused because I love my dad and wouldn't want to lose him so soon so I decided to look for a possible solution to rid of this ALS despite knowing it has no cure as advised by the medical doctor. Everyday my dad's health depreciate keep losing weight and strength a friend advised me to try Dr.Ovie ALS herbal formula that she use to cure her dad's heart disease and I was reluctant about it until after a second thought I decided to give a try because no harm in trying immediately I contacted him he assure me my dad will be cured within few days  he sent me the medicine and I applied it on  my dad as advised by Dr. Ovie within 3weeks of using  the herbal formula my dad was cured and my dad is free from ALS I went to the hospital that said there is no cure to ALS and informed them about my dad's healing and they were surprised you can contact Dr Ovie contact Dr Ovie via email> ovie.miraclemedicine1@gmail.com or contact Dr Ovie on yahoo email> ovie.miraclemedicine1@yahoo.com contact Dr.Ovie on his website

    now https://oviemiraclemedicin.wixsite.com/mysite Call or WhatsApp Dr on +2349056393169 aaDr Ovie is also specialize in curing the following below*PARKINSON DISEASE*CANCER*STROKE*INFERTILITY*HEART DISEASE*HIV*COLD SORES*DIABETES*LUPUS DISEASE*HPV*HSV1&2.

    ReplyDelete
  6. few week ago I felt some pains and I went to the hospital my doc told me I had Herpes about 1 year ago and I need to start the treatment early, he gave me some medicine to be taking and I told him no I’ll not, because I hated taking medicine when I won’t not see cure for the purpose. After I got home I started getting worried searching for strong advice and I found valid natural treatment online a lot of people says they got herpes cure from DR.IMOUDU and I contacted DR.IMOUDU that same day I purchase his cure online, after two weeks of taking the herbel treatment i got cured totally. i tested negative all thank to DR.IMOUDU you can also reach him on his email: [DR.IMOUDUHEALERTEMPLE@GMAIL.COM ] or message him on WhatsApp +2348109609753 God bless you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Herbs are very good in eliminating viruses / diseases which I think have no cure, I was able to get rid of HSV1 & 2 and HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE after using the herbal medicine I ordered from dr kokobi. y'all shouldn't be carried away by what the medical doctor told you. Herbal remedies have the best solution. contact him via his Email kokobiherbalremedycentre@gmail.com or whatsapp +2349055346858 below he has the cure to any illness/diseases

    ReplyDelete

  8. Join the Illuminati Freemason Brotherhood!!!Email illuminatisecretetemple666@yahoo.com.........

    BENEFITS GIVEN TO NEW MEMBERS WHO JOIN ILLUMINATI.
    1.A Cash reward worth $500,000, 00 after initiation.
    2.A New Sleek Dream CAR valued at $100,000
    3.A Dream House bought in the country of your own choice
    4.One Month holiday (fully paid) to your dream tourist destination.
    5.One year Golf Membership package
    6.A V.I.P treatment in all Airports in the World
    7.A total Lifestyle change
    8.Access to Bohemian Grove.
    9.Monthly payment of $300,000 into your bank account every month as a member
    10.One Month booked.appointment with Top 5 world Leaders and Top 5 Celebrities in the World,

    If you are suffering from Herpes...contact this herbal doctor today on this Email:robinsonbuckler@yahoo.com.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Works very Fast

    Fast solution for Herpes Cure

    I was cured from Herpes with herbal med..

    Fix Relationship/marital problem,

    He can bring back Ex lover back..

    [[r.buckler11@gmail....... com]]

    ReplyDelete